Once again, it’s Independence Day in the United States of America. It’s a good time to remind ourselves of all the ways we can exercise our independence, especially in our career. So, in honor of the thirteen original colonies that bravely started this union, here are thirteen ideas (plus tools) you can use this holiday weekend —or anytime you’re reading this— to create your own career independence.
13 Ways to Create Career Independence
1. Get clarity about who you are and what you want. Don’t just think about it—do the work and write it down. (My guided process helps make this fun and easy—find it in my Get Career Clear class here.)
2. Review all of your expenses, and trim the ones that don’t matter. Financial freedom can give you career freedom.
3. Practice what to say to build your confidence (click here for our free downloadable tool.)
5. Update your LinkedIn profile, including a photo (get over yourself–seeing your face matters). Add a great headline telling the world who you are and what you do. (See mine and link with me here.)
7. Turn off the TV and read a good book (like this one, although I’m biased. 😇)
8. Share a good book with your boss or another important person in your career.
9. Stop saying you’re stuck. Get unstuck.
10. Write a snail mail thank you note to someone in your work-life.
11. Learn how to fall back in love with your job.
13. Take the next step and join me for a confidential 30-minute conversation. There, you can ask questions, get honest answers, and get a taste of how professional coaching support can help you move forward, faster.Schedule your coaching chat now
Read this next: