Our brains are emotionally wired to respond to stories better than we respond to facts, figures or other data. So if you’re not using stories to influence and connect with others, you’re missing a key element from your professional practices.
But how do you tell your story at work, and use it to build relationships, teach lessons, and create fresh conversations with your teams, clients, and colleagues?
Here’s a starter list of questions to help you get started telling all the stories that you have to share.
- The thing I do every day that I’m paid for is . . .
- The thing I do every day that makes a difference is . . .
- The thing I do every day that makes me proud is . . .
- The thing I choose not to do at work that makes me proud is . . .
- The way I found my job was . . .
- The best way I learned my job was . . .
- The best way I learned how to be successful was . . .
- The project or experience that made the most impact on me was . . .
- The biggest mistake I ever made was . . .
- The most embarrassing failure I had was . . .
- The way I recovered from my mistake/failure/crash was . . .
- The person I learned the most from was _______________, and s/he taught me . . .
- The person who showed me who I don’t want to be at work was _____________, and s/he taught me . . .
- The first time I asked for help was . . .
- The most recent time I asked for help was . . .
- If I could start this day over, I’d. . .
- If I could start this week over, I’d. . .
- If I could start this month over, I’d. . .
- If I could start this year over, I’d. . .
- If I could start my career over, I’d. . .
- If I could start my life over, I’d. . .
Hey—want more help?
No matter what’s happening in your life at work, a 30-minute chat with me can help you get unstuck and move forward, fast.
Just hit the button below, and pick a date and time that’s available. Answer a few short questions, and then I’ll call you at the time you picked. There’s nothing to prepare–just show up right where you are. If, after we talk, it sounds like one of my coaching programs or courses will help you going forward, I’ll share details after our call. There’s no pressure -my goal is to be helpful immediately.
Spots fill up fast, though, so schedule yours now and start getting the support you deserve.Schedule your coaching chat now