If you’re a leader who wants to keep your people engaged, focused and productive, don’t expect that it happens by magic. Just because you’re not hearing about problems doesn’t mean none exist!
Discover the specific things you can say so people stay in your organization and continue making the contributions you need them to make.
More in my video here, originally recorded on Facebook Live:
What to Say So People Stay
Summary: My three phrases to say:
#1: I’d like to schedule time for us to sit down and catch up on how things are going for you. Okay? (then do it)
- Focused, scheduled time is one of the best gifts you can offer to your most valued team members. Don’t assume that you’ll surface issues or prevent people problems when you’re moving so fast and don’t pay attention. If it’s important to you, schedule it and keep the commitment.
#2: If you had a magic wand, what’s one or two things would you change in your life at work right now to make it work better for you?
- Give your people an invitation to think differently, and open up possibilities for changes you never imagined were valuable or relevant.
- You’ll also find out where the wasted energy and time is within your organization, because the people closest to the work know how the work should be done–typically better than you do.
#3: What I really admire about you is . . .
- Do your best people hear enough positive words from you? Or is it always the negative stuff–“here’s what’s late, here’s what’s behind,” etc.
- Be intentional to tell your people what’s great, amazing, wonderful and valuable about them. Get specific. What are their superpowers? Mirroring back what you see–the best of what you see–can be a powerful expression that keeps someone from looking elsewhere.
Hey—want more help?
No matter what’s happening in your life at work, a 30-minute chat with me can help you get unstuck and move forward, fast.
Just hit the button below, and pick a date and time that’s available. Answer a few short questions, and then I’ll call you at the time you picked. There’s nothing to prepare–just show up right where you are. If, after we talk, it sounds like one of my coaching programs or courses will help you going forward, I’ll share details after our call. There’s no pressure -my goal is to be helpful immediately.
Spots fill up fast, though, so schedule yours now and start getting the support you deserve.Schedule your coaching chat now
Read this next: